Download Teredo tunnelling adapter for Windows 10/11
- The Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter is a system that maps between IPv4 and IPv6 protocols for Internet communications.
- If you want a seamless Internet experience or have a multi-device setup, installing the Teredo Adapter on your system is exactly what you need.
- Below is a guide that will help you successfully download and install the adapter and give you a hint about the status of your PC.
Running into issues with the Teredo Adapter on a Windows 10 device isn’t exactly an isolated case. There have been several instances of the above, thereby hampering the Internet experience for many.
However, no matter how intimidating the term might sound, we mentioned here in easy steps how to download and install the Teredo Adapter.
Why Teredo Tunneling Adapter is not in legacy hardware section?
This issue occurs mostly if you’re missing certain registry entries. If this happens, the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface will be missing.
Another cause can be your drivers, so it’s not uncommon to see that Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter has a driver problem.
Issues such as these will lead to Teredo is unable to qualify and many other errors, but luckily, there are ways to fix them.
What is Teredo Tunneling Adapter and what can it be used for?
That said, before we get going on this, you might want to have an idea of what the Teredo Adapter is in the first place.
After all, you will be in a better position to sort things out after you have an understanding of what it is all about.
To begin with, the Teredo Adapter works to redress a key shortcoming that again can be attributed to the rapid proliferation of the Internet; that shortage of IPv4 addressing scheme.
Since the Internet has exponentially grown off late, there simply aren’t any more IPv4 addresses to assign to new users.
It is here that the IPv6 protocol comes into the picture, which opens up an almost infinite number of addresses to use.
However, since most of us all over the world continue to be reliant on IPv4 technology, this opens up the need to have a system that maps between IPv4 and IPv6 protocols.
And that’s exactly what the Teredo Adapter from our topic today does.
Now that you know what the Teredo Adapter is, let’s find out how to download and install the same success on a Windows 10 PC.
How to download and install Teredo Adapter on Windows 10?
1. Download the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
- Press the Win + R keys on your keyboard, type devmgmt.msc, and click OK to open Device Manager.
- On the Device Manager window, locate and expand Network Adapters. Microsoft Teredo Tunnelling Adapter should have been there, and the lack of which is what this articles aim to rectify. You can also check by clicking on View, and select Show Hidden Devices to be doubly sure.
- Presuming that Teredo Adapter is still missing, the next step for you will be to click on Action, and select Add legacy hardware.
- This will launch the Add hardware Wizard. Click on Next here. The wizard also shows quite a scary message that only the advanced users should proceed henceforth. Don’t be in awe of it, and click on Next anyway.
- In the next step, make sure the Search for and install the hardware automatically (Recommended) is selected. Click on Next again.
- The next page confirms, If you know the specific hardware model you want to install, click Next to select it from a list. Click on the Next button to proceed.
- The next page will show the various hardware categories. Select Network adapters from the list and click on Next.
- Here you will have to select the manufacturer and model of the hardware device. In this case, select, Microsoft from the left-hand panel, followed by selecting Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter from the right panel. Click on Next to proceed to the next page.
- Here you get the confirmation that the hardware is ready for installation. Click on Next.
- Here comes the last stage, with the page showing Completing the Add Hardware Wizard. Click on Finish.
Microsoft Teredo Tunnelling Adapter should show under Network adapter. If it doesn’t, click on Scan for hardware changes on the Device Manager window.
Also, just in case the Add legacy hardware isn’t showing in the Device Manager window, plug in the specific devices that use tunneling.
If Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter, take a closer look at our comprehensive guide and fix it in no time.
2. Check for Windows 10 updates
- Click on Start, and go to the Settings app.
- Click on Update and Security.
- Under the Windows Update option on the left panel, click on the Check for updates tab on the right side of the page.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions for any update if applicable.
Alternately, if your issues continue to persist, or if Teredo Adapter is not showing in Device Manager, you might want to see if your PC is running the latest Windows 10 version.
Just be sure to follow the above steps to check for Windows 10 updates.
Useful tip for users
- Open Command Prompt (Admin), and run the following line to check iphlpsvc:
2. If Teredo is disabled, this line will show up in output:
3. Re-enable Teredo through this line:
You should check if Teredo Adapter is disabled from the Registry by using the above lines.
This should let you have the all-important Teredo Tunneling Adapter on your system for a seamless Internet experience.
Also, if you have a multi-device setup and need to communicate with all of those without a hitch, this adapter is the perfect solution for you.
If you are having trouble updating your Windows system, then you should check out our guide that will help you solve it in no time.
If you have any other suggestions or questions on this topic, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.