How to fix Elden Ring not working with controller on PC
- Many PC players have reported not being able to play Elden Ring with a controller.
- Apparently, this can happen due to a software conflict with the vJoy joystick driver.
- There are, however, quite a few workarounds that can help reestablish functionality.
- Keep in mind that these are temporary solutions, useful until we receive an official fix.
Elden Ring was recently launched and has been a success so far, with few problems and a lot of positive feedback from the fans.
It is currently available for players on PlayStation, Xbox, and Microsoft Windows. And even though you can play just fine with a mouse and keyboard, some PC gamers opt for a controller instead.
However, some users have reported not being able to play that way at all, as their controllers simply won’t work with the PC version of Elden Ring.
Luckily, there are some workarounds you can go through to fix this annoying issue, as we are about to show you.
What can I do if my controller won’t work with Elde Ring?
This happens because the game will think that the x-input device it has detected is the controller you want to use, which means that your actual controller won’t work in-game.
Players that struggled with this found that Steam was detecting a vJoy device alongside their Xbox wireless controllers.
The solutions we’re about to provide for you are only temporary solutions, as an official fix from Bandai Namco or From Software has not yet been released.
However, the community reported that these workarounds did the trick in their cases and they could, therefore, enjoy Elden Ring on their PCs with a controller.
Without any further ado, here’s what you can do if this happens to you as well:
- Restart your PC.
- Unplug all other controllers, fight sticks, or third party accesories before booting Elden Ring.
- Right click on Elden Ring on Steam and enable Steam Input.
- Launch Elden Ring in Steam Big Picture mode.
- Disable the Steam overlay.
- Uninstall vJoy joystick driver if you detect it running in Task Manager.
These are the steps you can try in order to fix this annoying issue and make the most of the new Elden Ring experience.
There were also players that experienced issues with white screen errors, but we can tell you how to fix that as well.
Remember that there were also boss fights and farming routes leaked before Elden Ring was even released.
Was this article helpful to you? Let us know in the comments section below.
- How to fix corrupted or damaged PDF on Windows 10 & 11
- How to screenshot on Lenovo IdeaPad
- How to download and use CCleaner to remove malware
- Download Teredo tunnelling adapter for Windows 10/11
- 5 best methods to remove audio from videos in Windows 10 & 11
- How to shut down Windows 10 without the Start menu
- How to enable & install gpedit.msc on Windows 10 Home Edition
- Download PC Health Check to test your PC for Windows 11