Smartbyte: What it is and how to remove it
- If you own a Dell PC and you’re experiencing slow Internet speeds, then the Smartbyte utility may be to blame.
- While the Smartbyte network service is useful on some Dell PCs, most users prefer removing it.
- This article will give you a brief summary of what Smartbyte is, and how to remove it if you so desire.
- Once you’ve finished reading, you can then decide whether to keep it or not.
Those of you who own Dell computers may have noticed that sometimes your Internet speeds go down under certain conditions.
Additionally, you may have noticed that when that happens, Smartbyte is usually running in the background.
Before discussing whether or not the two may be related, some of you would probably want to know what Smartbyte is.
What happens if you uninstall Smartbyte?
This software can be responsible for VPN error 809 on Windows, so disabling or removing it might be required. So far, users haven’t reported any additional issues after removing it.
Keep in mind that this application can be tricky to uninstall, therefore, we suggest reading our guide on how to remove software leftovers in order to completely remove it.
If there are any additional problems, you might want to learn how to uninstall programs that cannot be uninstalled to see how to properly remove this software.
What is SmartByteTelemetry.exe?
SmartByte is an application tool that automatically detects when you’re streaming video and gives that feed most of the available Internet connection.
If you want have access to the Smartbyte network service, you’ll have to buy a new Dell system such as the Inspiron 27 7000 or later. Unfortunately, no information was revealed about making it available as a standalone utility.
The utility, which is enabled by default, works with both Intel and Realtek wireless chips, so you don’t have to worry about installing new Smartbyte drivers and services to get it.
That being said, you would expect that by having this tool installed your Internet speeds should regulate better when streaming videos.
Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case, as more users are actually complaining about the tool rather than praising it.
How do I remove Smartbyte.exe from my PC?
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- This will open the Task Manager.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Find the Smartbyte utility, click it, and select Disable.
2. Uninstall Smartbyte
- Right-click Start
- Click Apps and Features
- Scroll until you find any application with SmartByte in the name
- Click each SmartByte entry and click Uninstall
- Follow the prompts to uninstall the application
- Repeat the process with all Smartbyte apps
It all depends on whether you find it to be more of a nuisance than a help. If you do decide and not using it anymore, you can try to disable it, or get rid of it altogether.
If you want to reinstall SmartByte, all you need to do is perform a driver update on your Dell PC using the Dell Update feature.
By following these steps, you will be able to stop Smartbyte, either temporarily or permanently, from running on your Windows 10 PC.
If you too have encountered issues with Smartbyte interfering with your Internet speed on a Dell PC, tell us more about it in the comment section below.